309-685-5300   famhouse@familyhousepeoria.org  1339 E. Nebraska Ave., Peoria, IL 61603

Our Story

original Family House locationOur Beginning

Built in 1894, the first Family House was originally the home of Peter Spurck, an entrepreneur who contributed to the economic growth of Peoria. A tribute to Peoria’s pioneer spirit, this four-story red stone mansion was designed by a well-known Peoria architect, Warren Milner. The elegance of this structure is epitomized by an imposing tower, exquisite stained-glass and crystal windows, and beautiful marble fireplaces that reflect the home’s heritage and warmth. The home’s interior, comprised of 9,000 square feet of living space, is accented by spacious rooms and beautiful oak woodwork.

In 1982, the Junior League of Peoria (JULEP) began to discuss the idea of creating a “hospitality house,” a comfortable, safe temporary residence for families with patients in area hospitals. By November 1, 1983, the discussion culminated in the establishment of a community board and a mission statement that read, “To provide low-cost housing and supportive services to families who are experiencing the crises which illnesses and hospitalization often bring.”

For this noble idea to become reality, JULEP and Peoria’s three hospitals (Methodist Medical Center, Proctor Hospital, and OSF Saint Francis Medical Center) took on the tasks of fundraising and planning. The search for a suitable location ended when the house at 1509 N. Knoxville Avenue was purchased from John Murphy. Renovating the house took more than a year. With the generous help of JULEP members, the board, and community volunteers, Family House was refurbished with new carpet, paint, wallpaper, and furniture.

This historic mansion, beginning its new mission, opened its doors to its first guest families on June 5, 1985. Just as the original owner Peter Spurck first paved the streets of Peoria, Family House paved the way of kindness and hope for families who need relief from the emotional and financial stress brought on by medical problems. In its early years, Family House was staffed primarily by volunteers. The first full-time director was hired in 1991.

 

Family House today

Today

In June of 2011, Family House moved into our current home at 1339 E. Nebraska Avenue. The house, built on property donated by Dr. Dale and Pam Geiss and designed by the Architectural Design Group, offers 20 guest rooms with expanded features, up-to-date kitchen facilities, large dining room and multiple community rooms. The house is handicap accessible, including an elevator and has ample on-site parking. Day services are available for waiting room families. The funding for the house was raised through a capital campaign that generated more than 2 million dollars.

The Family House is the first healthcare hospitality house in central Illinois. Their doors are open to families of patients and individuals receiving health care services from all four hospitals and other healthcare-related organizations in the Peoria area. Family House serves families from throughout the United States and across international borders, many who come to Peoria in the midst of a medical crisis. Some families stay for one nights, some for several weeks, and others many months.

Staffed 24-hours a day, 365 days a year by a caring and compassionate staff, Family House is an affordable home away from home during a difficult time. Family House is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization.

The mission of Family House is to provide affordable, home-like lodging for families of patients or individuals receiving health care services in the Peoria area. Their vision is to establish a culture of compassionate service that leads to a comforting guest experience.

 

Family House is a place to call home